Friday, May 22, 2026

Welcome!

In order to really understand any people and time period, it's important to look, not just at secondary sources, but at primary sources as well. Rather than having you purchase an expensive supplemental reader for this class, I will post here links to some important primary sources online. For most class sessions, I will ask you to comment here on a selection particularly relevant to what we will be discussing in class.

To get started, here's a test of the History 152 blog system. If you don't already have one, please create for yourself a Google account by following the instructions at https://accounts.google.com. Blogger is linked to Google, and you *should* be able to use the Google account attached to your NSU e-mail address.  That doesn't always work, and you may have to set up an independent account.

When you can log-in to blogger, click the "comments" link below, and answer  each of the following questions:
  1. What figure from American history do you find the most interesting? Why?
  2. What is the most important thing you learned in your high school American history classes?
  3. What historical time period most interests you? Why?

16 comments:

  1. 1. The figure from American history I find most interesting is Frederick Douglass. During my sophomore year of college I read a letter/paper of his work. For an enslaved man who taught himself how to read and write I thought his ideas were powerful. I was not the only who thought so because he inspired others to seek freedom through the underground railroad.
    2. My U.S. History class was awhile ago. Although, the most important thing I learned would have to be the importance of the industrial revolution. That period of time in U.S. History helped shape our modern world. I also find it interesting how many people sacrificed their health and time just to put food on the table for their families during that period.
    3. The historical period that most interests me is during the Cold War and Vietnam War (1950's-1990's). My grandparents were alive and even drafted into these conflicts. I would like to better understand what life was like for them during those times of intense turmoil with other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trey! Frederick Douglass is an inspiration in that he worked hard to improve his conditions, and he helped others along the way. I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been for those that sought the freedoms we have today. It gives me pause to consider how they had to be conflicted in remaining in their deplorable conditions and being alive or potentially being killed seeking freedoms that possibly they weren't sure actually existed. It also makes you understand the resilience to possessed because they truly had to work for everything they received.
      I'm also interested in that time period of the Vietnam War. I only wish I had asked questions of my uncles to understand what they had endured during that time. I hate that they returned to America under such a massive cloud and without the honor they deserved.

      Delete
  2. 1. Someone I find interesting in American history has to be Marsha P. Johnson. It is a rather overshadowed piece of history (in comparison to more notable events), but rights being acquired by the queer community due to her work as a transgender activist ultimately affect me as a trans adult. My interest stems directly from that; if it were not for her and other activists at Stonewall, I would have to hide my identity.

    2. U.S. History in high school did not get too into any implications that happened as a result of events. It more so was just a form of "here's what happened, let's move on to the next thing." I suppose in hindsight, this in turn taught me that everything in history has implications. Why did something happen, what can occur as a result from this, and how did it affect our trajectory as a society? My teacher was good at her job, but I ended up researching history on my own. I arguably preferred that, because nuance is always there in these historical events. If I'm taught a certain story, there's a worryingly large change of information being left out, either on purpose or intentionally.

    3. I find both the early 2000's and the Cold War era as interesting historical periods. The early 2000's is not talked about too much, and one major reason is the fact that many textbooks were made a while back. Because of that, most events that happened at this time are only documented through more modern forms of media (which can include up-to-date textbooks, which is rare for high schools to have unfortunately). It also marks the change we had to face as a society with technology advancing rapidly and the internet becoming mainstream. The Cold War is interesting, too, for a similar reason with technology. This time marks a warning for us later in the future (should we toy with nuclear power, and potentially hold on to a weapon of mass destruction? Or maybe this power could be used for the better, as nuclear fusion is an incredibly clean energy source?). I like these historical eras equally, and that's ultimately why I can't say one is more interesting than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. A figure from American history that I find intriguing is Theodore Roosevelt. I find him interesting because of his perseverance in not allowing the fact that he was asthmatic to prevent him from doing anything physical. It was almost like his medical condition only fueled his determination to exercise whether it was hiking, swimming, boxing, or any other physical activity. He created the national park system to help create better air quality being environmentally cognizant, before it was really considered. His foreign policy was based on “Speak softly and carry a big stick,” this is reminiscent of my grandfather as he was a soft-spoken man, but when he did discipline or speak you knew to pay attention. I believe his policy is relevant even today in the aspect of quite often there is a lot of word pandering fueling hate and discord. I believe our country needs to be strong yet willing to listen. I also like the fact that according to everything I’ve read, Teddy was a faithful, family man and I find a lot of honor and dignity in that when people like him were/are difficult to come by.
    2. I would have to dig very deep to recall my high school American history class. I did not find history class interesting in the least during that time of my life, but as I’ve grown older, I find myself enthralled with history and simply not repeating past mistakes. While I did well as a high school student, it was not the subject that I delved into it was more learn what was required and move on. However, as a middle school student, I was tasked with interviewing someone from the Great Depression and I interviewed my grandfather. Listening to his stories captured my attention and hurt my heart some for the struggles that he had to endure to get to where he was at that time. The dust was everywhere, there wasn’t much food for his family, and it was a devastating time. It made me realize just how much sacrifice and determination people had to have during that time. I only wish I still had those recordings to listen to his voice. Something that stands out to me is that he never considered giving up, it was just something he had to get through.
    3. The historical period that most interests me is the 1900’s to 1970’s. I had uncles that served in the military (Vietnam War) and that was when my grandparents were growing up. It pains me that I didn’t ask more questions when they were still alive to get their opinions on that period. By the time I became interested they were already gone and everyone in the family I’ve spoken to didn’t really ask about their experiences. It’s family history that wasn’t ever documented which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The person who interests me most in American history is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She is an amazing woman with a strong will and dedication to gender equality and civil rights. She made a difference in American legislation through her persistence and hard work.

    2. The most important lesson from my high school American history courses is that history tends to repeat itself. The events might differ, but the cycles of society, politics, and economics seem to recur time and again. Having insight into the past can make one see what happens in the present more clearly.

    3. One particular historical era that fascinates me is the Progressive Era. It fascinates me because of its reforms, including efforts to reduce corruption, improve labor conditions, strengthen democratic processes, and advance social justice. There were many debates during the Progressive Era that continue to impact America today.

    -Kelly Mayo

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. The person who interests me the most in American history is Florence Nightingale. She is known for being a nurse who introduced proper sanitation, hygiene, and nutrition, which drastically reduced death rates. I find her very interesting because I am a nursing major who will be following some of the skills she introduced.
    2. The most important thing I learned in my high school history class was the basic timeline of the wars throughout U.S. history. I think it can be very easy to mix up and forget which wars happened and when. My teacher made it easy to remember when the wars were, who they were with, and what may have caused them.
    3. The historical time era that interests me the most is the Renaissance era. I find it interesting because there was so much going on with so many important figures, and at a time so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The figure from American history that I find most interesting is Abraham Lincoln. I say this because he led the country during the American Civil War, a time where the nation was divided, and he also helped keep the Union intact while ending slavery. Through all the trials he faced, he was able to stick to what he believed and impact the nation in a positive way giving everyone freedom.
    2. The most important thing I learned in my high school US History class learning the idea that learning history doesn't have a lot to do with memorizing dates, but understanding the concepts of how the past impacts the present and the future. We learn from the past so we don't make the same mistakes in the future. One particular thing that I thought was interesting was the American Revolution and how the American people came together to earn their freedom. This showed me how unity is crucial for a nation.
    3. The historical time period that interests me the most in American history was the Civil War because it was a turning point in American history. The US was divided over big ideas like slavery, and the outcome of the war made the nation into what it is today. This whole period of time showed how big events and wars can lead to major changes in a country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (1) What figure from American history do you find the most interesting? Why?
    I find Harriet Tubman the most interesting because of her bravery and determination. She escaped slavery and then risked her life many times to help others gain their freedom through the Underground Railroad. Her courage and selflessness continue to inspire people today.

    (2) What is the most important thing you learned in your high school American history classes?
    The most important thing I learned is that history affects the present. Many issues, laws, and traditions in the United States today are connected to events that happened in the past. Understanding history helps explain why our society works the way it does and can help us make better decisions for the future.

    (3) What historical time period most interests you? Why?
    The period that interests me the most is the 1960s, especially the Civil Rights Movement. I find it fascinating because so many people worked together to fight for equality and bring about major social change. Learning about the challenges they faced and the progress they achieved shows how individuals can make a difference in society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I find Meriwether Lewis and William Clarkto be the most intersting figures in American histyr. They're bravery to explore the Lousiana purchase without knowing what was in store speaks on their character. Along with their good nature with the Native people they passed on their. It draws a beautiful picture of American perservence and what it takes to build a country.

    2. The most important thing I learned in high school history classes is how our judicial system came to be. Where it started with the Revolutionary war and how we got to the system we use now.

    3. The industrial period is the most interesting to me. I am more intersted in the evolution of technology and that that plays into my life today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. The figure I find most interesting is Alexander Hamilton. A key reason I find him interesting is because he had such a crazy life. Hamilton came from nothing and still went on to become one of the most influential and powerful people in the US. In addition, I think the duel between him and Aaron Burr was one of the most insane things to happen in history.
    2. The most important thing I learned in my history classes was how our laws and judicial system came to be. I think everyone should understand how the system works and how laws came to be.
    3. The most interesting period to me is the Wild West period. This was a very dangerous and chaotic time that led to the creation of so many historical legends like Billy the Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. The figure from history that I find the most interesting is Anne Frank. Even though she was only a teenager, her diary gives people a powerful look into what life was like during the Holocaust. I think her story is inspiring because she remained hopeful despite the difficult circumstances she faced. Her writing continues to educate people around the world about the importance of courage and human rights.

    2. The most important thing I learned in my high school American history classes is how events from the past continue to affect our lives today. Learning about topics such as the Constitution, civil rights, and major wars helped me understand why our government and society function the way they do. History has shown me that decisions made in the past can have long-lasting effects on future generations.

    3. The historical time period that interests me the most is the 1980s. I find this decade interesting because of its unique music, fashion, technology, and pop culture. It was a time of major political and social changes that influenced the world we live in today. I also enjoy learning about the trends, entertainment, and lifestyle of the 1980s because they were very different from today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. The figure from history that I find most interesting is Harriet Tubman. Her willingness to put herself at risk to help others to freedom is inspiring. She was a very powerful figure when it came to slavery by guiding groups through the Underground Railroad. Her dedication to helping others did not end here. She also served as a spy and as a nurse during the Civil War, which I find very inspirational.

    2. The most important thing I learned in my high school American history class is how history has shaped our country into what it is today. Events such as, the Louisiana Purchase, the Civil War, the Great Depression, and the Civil Rights movement. Each of these events have had lasting effects in the United States.

    3. A historical time period that interests me the most is the 1950s-1960s during the Civil Rights movement. I think that this was a very powerful time period for our country uniting as one, by ending segregation. I also think that the court case Brown vs. Board of Education is a very interesting topic that occurred during this time and that Martin Luther King Jr. was an inspirational figure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. A figure from American History that is most interesting to me is Martin Luther King Jr. He was an important figure during the civil rights movement. 2. The most important thing I learned in history class was learning about all the different eras that we had in our history. The most important era was the Great Depression, it was important to learn why our country went through that. 3. Anything before the 1950s interest me. It’s important how our country worked compared to how it’s working today in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The figure from history that I found the most interesting is Malcom X. Growing up as a black man, I heard a lot about him from my dad, and always loved learning about his life. In a class I took my Freshman year of college, we watched a movie about him that starred Denzel Washington. (who is one of my favorite actors) When I watched this movie, I became much more interested in Malcom X and looked more into his life and his history.
    The most important thing I learned from my high school history classes was just how fragile our government is, and how many mistakes it took to get it to where it is now. Having a strong government is what makes a strong nation, so learning about the struggles of getting America to where it is today is extremely important for people to know. Especially for just having common knowledge of how our government works, a lot of people lack that, and it's important to learn about.
    The most interesting historical time period for me is the civil rights time period. This is something my dad always talked to me about as a kid, and I never really realized the struggles that my people went through until I actually read about it and learned about it. I find it super interesting for many reasons, but the main ones are that I myself am black, so it's important to learn about the history of my people, and I love learning about the important figures and different groups of black people that all fought for the same purpose, but did it in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being Mexican-American, a historical figure that I always found to be interesting was Cesar Chazez. Throughout history we mostly heard of all the great things that he did for the rights of migrant workers. As well as acting as a prominent figure in the civil rights of Mexican immigrants. It has been kind of hard. Interesting that over the course of the last year that there has been so much negativity surrounding him. Someone many saw as a hero has come to light to not be as great of a person as one once thought him to be.
    I am quite a few years removed from high school. One thing in general that sticks out as a reoccurring theme is that history tends to repeat itself. If we don’t know our past and learn from it, the past can come back to haunt us, and the same mistakes can continually happen.
    Perhaps I am heavily influenced by my grandparents and parents. I am particularly interested in the depression era leading through the war into the baby boom. It seems like it was the start of a chain of negative events that hit our country and we have been able to pull out of it and each time in what seems to be a better place. Going from the great depression, to WW2, to the cold war era, the vietnam conflict, As I write this I stop to think that my highlights are surrounded by negative events, but we come out stronger from each one of those things.

    ReplyDelete