Friday, May 22, 2026

The Great War--Evaluation of Wilson

As the 100th year anniversary of World War I was approaching, Indy Neidell and others had the brilliant idea of doing a weekly YouTube video series summarizing the events that occurred during the corresponding week 100 years earlier. The result was "The Great War" series--a series that's now been extended to the years following World War I.

I highly recommend the whole series, but there are certain episodes you might find particularly useful in evaluating Wilson and the Progressives.  It would be good to look at this Great War Evaluation of Woodrow Wilson.

Please note in the comments below what you learned about Wilson (both positive and negative, maybe) from this video.

6 comments:

  1. From the video, I learned that Woodrow Wilson had both positive and negative qualities as a president. On the positive side, he supported Progressive reforms, including stronger regulation of business and banking reforms that helped modernize the economy. However, the video also showed that Wilson held racist views and allowed segregation to expand in parts of the federal government. I also learned that his leadership during World War I is viewed differently by historians, with some praising his idealism and others criticizing his policies. Overall, the video helped me see Wilson as a complicated figure who made important reforms but also had serious flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From this video, I determined that while Woodrow Wilson created the Federal Reserve and Federal Trade Commission, as well as Workman's Comp, he most likely was a racist. He also was discriminatory against women scholars at the college level. He admired New England and wanted a parliamentary system for America.

    While Wilson had some positive reforms, he was a man that brought strong views from both sides - some exalted him, while others maybe detested him. For being educated, he had a lot of biases towards different peoples, especially blacks and women. He may have adopted some of his father's tendencies, especially when it came to black people.

    Overall, I'd say that Wilson, while an eloquent speaker, may not have been such a great leader. His establishment of the League of Nations earned him a Nobel Prize; however, he couldn't convince Americans to sign onto it. That tells me that he didn't have much political sway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the video, I learned that Woodrow Wilson was a very complex president with both strengths and weaknesses. He helped pass several Progressive reforms, created the Federal Reserve System, and guided the United States through World War I. He also worked to promote peace after the war through his Fourteen Points and his support for the League of Nations.

    At the same time, the video explained that Wilson supported segregation in the federal government and did not do much to protect the rights of African Americans. During World War I, his administration also restricted free speech by punishing some people who spoke out against the war. This surprised me because he often talked about democracy and freedom. Overall, I learned that Wilson achieved many important things, but he also made decisions that have been heavily criticized by historians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the video, I learned a lot more about his history before he gained political fame, for example, how he had dropped out of law school because he thought it boring and decided to study law independently. I also thought it was interesting that he was a professor at an all-women's school, but didn't really want to advocate for women's education. I think overall the most interesting thing I learned was that he helped create the League of Nations, won a Nobel Peace Prize for it, but America never took part in it or became a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woodrow Wilson is shown in this video with both positive and negative qualities. On his good side, he pushed for ideas that helped people like the Fourteen Points and the League of Nations, trying to create a more peaceful world post World War I. On the negative side, he supported segregation in the federal government because he thought it would reduce tension between blacks and whites in the government. Another thing was he refused to compromise on the Versailles Treaty, which kept the U.S. out of the League of Nations; the thing he decided to create. Wilson, to me, seems like a guy who had great ideas and great ideals, but was brought back by his own beliefs and decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After watching the Youtube video provided in the description it is evident that Woodrow Wilson was a highly controversial leader. The first thing I found alarming was both his and his fathers stance on slavery. He felt there was no problem with it because the Bible had not mentioned it. It is evident that they were both racist in not advocating for a suppressed group of people in a role of power. Individivually Wilson seemed smart and made pretty good choices in becoming educated. I think it is awesome that he put forth effort in redesigning Princeton's program. I admire that Wilson had won the election through true conviction rather than buying votes. William Jennings Bryan was also a great choice in a progressive Secretary of State. The best thing to come from the war was the League of Nations, even though the U.S. never got involved. In my opinion Wilson made a bunch of good decisions in the U.S., but ultimately showed hypocrosy in foreign politics and in entering the war.

    ReplyDelete