Friday, May 22, 2026

How the West was Lost

 

More than 30 years ago, the Discovery Channel produced an excellent series of films covering Westward expansion into Indian territory.  They called the series "How the West was Lost."  Episodes 5, 6, and 9 talk about the Dakota and Lakota people.  Part 9 talks about the Minnesota Uprising, while five and six cover figures like Red Cloud, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.  Every South Dakotan should know these stories, and the approach here is particularly good.

Youtube versions of the video very greatly in quality.  There are links here: some pretty good, others not so good.  

As I created this post, there were good quality versions of the the last six episodes linked here.

Please watch one of these episodes and add some comments here.  I usually show my face-to-face students A Good Day to Die.  

Which video did you watch?  What did you learn?  Did you enjoy the sound track?  Do you plan on someday watching other parts of this series?




10 comments:

  1. I watched A Good Day to Die. The documentary taught me more about Crazy Horse and the struggles the Lakota people faced as the United States expanded westward. I learned how important land, culture, and freedom were to the Lakota and why they resisted being forced onto reservations. The episode gave me a better understanding of the conflicts between Native Americans and the U.S. government and how these events shaped the history of South Dakota.

    I also enjoyed the soundtrack because it helped create a serious and emotional atmosphere throughout the documentary. Overall, I thought the episode was interesting and informative. It made me want to learn more about Native American history, and I would consider watching other episodes in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the documentary really bore down on the adversities faced by the Lakota people and how they struggled to maintain their culture and lifestyle. It made me empathize with their struggles and truly understand why they are angry with white people to this day. The government and early settlers did a huge disservice to them by forcing them to live on reservations. The murdering of people (by both sides) seems so unnecessary, and I only wish they could have found a better way to live together peacefully.

      Delete
  2. I watched A Good Day to Die. This documentary was quite fascinating, teaching me more about the viewpoints of the Lakota people. It seems that ethics were lost on white people during this time and that it was more of a steal what you covet, no matter the cost to others. While the Lakota people were willing to compromise, it seems all the treaties were only protecting the Whites. The language of the treaties was a huge disadvantage to the Lakota, and this is very disingenuous on the part of the whites. It's easy to understand the hatred that the Native Americans have toward us to this day when you revisit history. Why weren't they able to live peaceably together and why didn't common sense prevail in regard to the massive amounts of killing and bloodshed? It's rather disturbing and disgusting to read/listen to the excerpts of the killing of defenseless women and children (on both sides). It was blatantly wrong for newcomers to push into the land occupied by the Lakota and steal it for themselves. It's interesting to hear how the Lakota view the Black Hills as sacred land and refuse to take money for it. While they have hopes to regain the land, I don't feel like that will happen.

    It's always interesting to learn about history through the eyes of different people. The perspective of each individual is somewhat different and it's a valuable tool to understand different perspectives related to the events of the past. (I'll digress a bit here. I had a cousin that I was more like a brother, that passed away at 39 due to cancer. In his last days, we had a conversation about perspective. He, of course was laying in the hospital bed, and another family member was sitting below a picture on the wall. He made a comment about how this family member was an angel. When I asked him why he felt that way, he said come over here and look from my perspective. I did just that, only to realize the picture made the family member looked as though they had a halo above their head.) It's all about perspective.

    I would definitely consider viewing other episodes because it gives me a better perspective and understanding of why the Native Americans feel the way they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your thoughts about the documentary and how it showed the Lakota perspective. It was upsetting to learn about the violence and the way many treaties were unfair to Native Americans. I also think it is important to understand history from different points of view because it helps explain why people feel the way they do today. Your story about perspective was interesting and shows how differently people can see the same situation. Watching documentaries like this can help us better understand the past and learn from it.

      Delete
    2. This is Addison Griese

      Delete
  3. I watched "A Good Day to Die." I thought it was interesting because it showed how difficult life was for the Lakota people as the U.S. expanded westward.

    One thing I learned was that many Native Americans lost their land even after agreements had been made. I also learned more about Crazy Horse and why he became an important leader. Before watching the documentary, I didn't know much about the events that led to the conflicts between the Lakota and the U.S. Army.

    The soundtrack and music was good because it matched the serious mood of the documentary. It helped make the story more powerful.

    I would probably watch other episodes in the series because this one taught me a lot about South Dakota history and the experiences of Native Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Episode 9 of How the West Was Lost, and this focused on the Minnesota Uprising of 1862. This documentary did a great job explaining the tensions that developed between the government and the Dakota people. I learned that the government had a big part in losing the trust of the Dakota people by delaying treaties and food shortages. These ideas made me realize the cause of the conflicts rather than just the name of the event. One thing that stood out to me was how the documentary showed the POV of both the settlers and the Dakota people, which I thought was a good touch. Another thing I learned that I thought was crazy was the mass execution of the Dakota men and the removal of the Dakota people from Minnesota. The soundtrack was intriguing because it made you have an emotional connection to the event without ever being there. Also, the music wasn't distracting while being overbearing. After watching this episode, I would watch other parts of this series like the Red Cloud and Sitting Bull to get more of a perspective from the Native Americans during their time of the Westward Expansion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After watching "A Good Day to Die" it reminded me of similar documentaries I would watch in my middle school history/social studies classes. One detail I appreciated was the in depth information on the social relationships within Native American tribes. They spoke of the power the huntsman held and the respect that was displayed for the individuals that were suppling food for the tribe. I also did not realize the Western Gold Rush affected the Native Americans to the extent it did. It is disappointing how many women, children, and even babies lost their lives over disputes, excusing white men to take land. I appreciated the level of passion the documentary generated through native songs and beats. I would be willing to watch more of the documentaries in the future. They are full of information about our state, which can be hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently watched "A Good Day to Die," and I found the documentary incredibly engaging, providing deeper insights into the perspectives of the Lakota people. It seems that during this period, ethics were often disregarded by white settlers, who operated on a mindset of taking what they desired without regard for the impact on others. While the Lakota were open to compromise, it appears that treaties primarily served to protect white interests. The language used in these agreements significantly disadvantaged the Lakota, revealing a disingenuous approach from the white settlers.

    Revisiting this history helps to clarify the ongoing resentment many Native Americans harbor today. It raises questions about why coexistence was so challenging and why common sense didn't prevail amid the violence and bloodshed. The accounts of the atrocities committed against defenseless women and children on both sides are particularly disturbing. It was unequivocally wrong for newcomers to encroach on Lakota land and seize it for themselves.

    I find it particularly compelling that the Lakota regard the Black Hills as sacred and refuse monetary compensation for it. Their hopes of reclaiming this land, however, seem unlikely to materialize.

    Learning about history through diverse perspectives is always enlightening. Each individual's viewpoint adds value to our understanding of past events.

    ReplyDelete