Friday, May 22, 2026

Election videos--Extra Credit

These videos on 19th century elections will give you some extra examples of negativity, violence, corruption, and outright fraud.  They are a bit fuller than my lecture, including (for instance) more mention of the VP candidates.  They run about 10 minutes each. They're not required, but they might help give you that extra perspective that will keep you from stumbling--and I think you'll find them fun!

5 comments:

  1. I found these videos to be very helpful in further understanding the state of the country between the Republicans and the Democrats. These were somewhat review from the lectures but also gave additional details regarding running mates as well as more of the platforms, discord, and political mudslinging that transpired between the parties. The campaigns weren't much different than what we are seeing currently in the media between candidates. It seems that opposing parties are never unwilling to throw jabs and sling mud. What would happen to our country if that wasn't the norm and that candidates weren't willing to stoop to those levels to win an election? You need only to turn on the television or the radio to see/hear one ad after another that is degrading the opposition to earn their place in politics to understand that nothing is off limits nor too low. It's rather depressing and disgusting the great lengths candidates are willing to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played these videos in the background as I cleaned my kitchen. But the were very helpful in understanding what was really going on during the elections. I found the media imagines helpful to visualize what the citizens were seeing at the time. With no other way to get to know the canidates other then these bits of media I wonder how they were reacted to. They weren't polites campaign matierials and poked fun at minorities who didn't ask for it. I also wonder how upsetting it was to see those imagines for those apart of those minorities. Additionally, I thought the voting map was cool to see. Of course I look at them during todays elections but they are starkly red or blue and follow a pattern. Seeing how the maps shifted over the years until 1880 to how similar todays map now, essentially provided a background in where the state prejudices came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hip Hughes election videos were helpful because they explained the elections in a way that was easy to understand and remember. They helped me learn about the problems in American politics during the late 1800s, including corruption, voter fraud, and negative campaigning. Some of the coolest things he talked about were the disputed election of 1876, where the outcome was decided by a political compromise, and the election of 1884, which was full of personal attacks and scandals. He also explained how different issues, such as Reconstruction, civil service reform, and tariffs, affected the elections. The videos made history more interesting and helped me better understand why these elections were important and how they shaped the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a more visual and adaptive learner I found these videos helpful. The level of context in who was doing what and why really helped strengthen my understanding of the key concepts during late 19th century elections. Often times I find it difficult to relate to historical stories. Hip Hughes structures his videos in a fun and relatable way. He also dives deep into the policies that specific candidates held and whether they applied them in office or not. This segways perfectly into how the late 19th century elections were structured. The elections continued to show division even after a Civil War. Greed, corruption, and radical idealogies led to various deaths in this time period. As it got closer to the 20th century both parties began to compromise more and more to create a somewhat peaceful society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found these videos to be more helpful as a visual to understanding the political climate in this period of American history. Some information was covered in the lecture videos, but these provided more information about candidates, campaigns, and issues that divided the nation. It was also good to see how political parties appeared to influence votes and gain support. One thing that I found weird was how much bantering and negativity existed between the parties and it reminds me of what is happening in elections today. Although technology has changed for the better, people on opposing parties are still very much against each other and it makes you realize how of much of history we repeat.

    ReplyDelete